cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Ex - NVRAM Failure Q-Code 61

irakandjii
Level 7
Hi folks, I originally posted in another thread when I thought this was a b1 error, turns out it is a 61.

I have a 61 error upon system power up.. NVRAM Initialization

I use the system through the day, shut down normally at night. I return in the morning and attempt to power up with the case power button. The system hangs with Q-Code 61. The USB devices do not light up, the fans stay on maximum, the monitor is not initialized. Note: This has also happened less frequently on a restart.

Work around: I unplug the PSU wait 5 sec for lights to die on mother board. Then plug it back in and press case power button, then the system boots normally.

I would like a solution that makes this problem go away, it seems silly to have to crawl under my desk just to start my computer when I am supposed to have a premier system in the first place, not to mention the ridicule I take from colleagues for spending so much money on it.

Details and what I have done follows:

Windows 10 Pro
BIOS is the most current 3701
Rampage V Extreme (version 1.0)
Intel 5960x
Memory: 64 GB
GPU: ASUS STRIX 1080. (I cannot change my PC specs for some reason, this is a new card)
Water cooled CPU.
The system is not overclocked, I tried back when I first got the board but I could never get a stable setting when using the ASUS easy OC settings in BIOS. System would always come back with an overclock failure on restart.

Background, about a month ago other strange things happened for which I have no diagnostics, basically the system would just turn off "mid use" and then restart. At that time I updated my BIOS to 3701 and I reinstalled Windows 10. This seemed to have cleared the problem for a month until now, for the past 10 days I have the 61 problem "randomly", as it does not happen every time I restart or power up the machine.

I have done a complete memory verification. Pulled all memory and checked each stick. The memory checked out ok.

I have also tried starting with all USB devices unplugged and it makes no difference.

Thanks in advance for your help.
5 REPLIES 5

startekselva
Level 8
irakandjii wrote:
Hi folks, I originally posted in another thread when I thought this was a b1 error, turns out it is a 61.

I use the system through the day, shut down normally at night. I return in the morning and attempt to power up with the case power button. The system hangs with Q-Code 61. The USB devices do not light up, the fans stay on maximum, the monitor is not initialized. Note: This has also happened less frequently on a restart.

Work around: I unplug the PSU wait 5 sec for lights to die on mother board. Then plug it back in and press case power button, then the system boots normally.

I would like a solution that makes this problem go away, it seems silly to have to crawl under my desk just to start my computer when I am supposed to have a premier system in the first place, not to mention the ridicule I take from colleagues for spending so much money on it.

Windows 10 Pro
Intel 5960x
GPU: ASUS STRIX 1080. (I cannot change my PC specs for some reason, this is a new card)
Water cooled CPU.
The system is not overclocked, I tried back when I first got the board but I could never get a stable setting when using the ASUS easy OC settings in BIOS. System would always come back with an overclock failure on restart.

Background, about a month ago other strange things happened for which I have no diagnostics, basically the system would just turn off "mid use" and then restart. At that time I updated my BIOS to 3701 and I reinstalled Windows 10. This seemed to have cleared the problem for a month until now, for the past 10 days I have the 61 problem "randomly", as it does not happen every time I restart or power up the machine.

I have done a complete memory verification. Pulled all memory and checked each stick. The memory checked out ok.

I have also tried starting with all USB devices unplugged and it makes no difference.

whats the power supply you are using your config require more than 600 watt thats wht system shoutdown during load
please spefiy your power supply

startekselva wrote:
whats the power supply you are using your config require more than 600 watt thats wht system shoutdown during load
please spefiy your power supply

I have a Corsair AX1200i. I have checked to output graphs and the system rarely uses more than 300w, because I don't over clock.

enyceedanny
Level 10
Do you have any USB devices plugged in (other than kb/mouse), try unplugging them all and see if it helps.

irakandjii
Level 7
irakandjii wrote:

Windows 10 Pro
Intel 5960x
Water cooled CPU.

As an update - This was a defective motherboard I finally got an RMA. The problem has disappeared completely.