cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to set 1-core ratio?

AlexiTQ
Level 9
I'm trying to set a higher core ratio when only 1-2 cores are being used. Thought it would be as simple as just putting the ratios in. For example, 46x for 1-2 cores and 44x for the rest.

Apparently I'm doing something wrong, because it's not working. As per the example I would only get 44x ratio even when running single core tasks (like Cinebench single core benchmark).

Thought it might be that I needed SpeedStep enabled, but that only scales up to the 44x ratio.

What am I missing here?

I'm running a 5820K on a X99-a board with the latest BIOS.
12 REPLIES 12

Nate152
Hi AlexiTQ

Set the AI overclock Tuner to Manual, set the core ratio to per core, this should allow you to set the cores individually.

AlexiTQ
Level 9
That's what I'm doing but it's not working. Look here, running Cinebench single core and the frequency is locked at 4,34Ghz instead of 4,44Ghz. (43x101 instead of 44x101):
https://imgur.com/SJ2kido

Nate152
Do you have the Multicore Enhancement option? If so try disabling it, it will be located on the Extreme Tweaker tab.

AlexiTQ
Level 9
Multicore enhancement is disabled. Tried setting to auto but it made no difference.

Nate152
All right then,

I will suggest resetting to defaults and starting over.

I run my cpu with the cores synced, I never used the per core setting but you should be able to enter a different value for each core with the per core setting.

AlexiTQ
Level 9
Tried loading optimized defaults, set the core ratios and upped the voltage. Same result I'm afraid - it's not using the higher ratio for single core.

Nate152

AlexiTQ
Level 9
Thanks, I found that for it to work you need to have C-states enabled. Once I enable C-states multiplier, voltage och core ratio changed according to load.

Only problem now is that I only hit the highest frequency occasionally so the performance did not increase as much as expected. I also got worse multi core performance for some reason.

As one would expect from a constantly changing voltage and frequency, stability suffered and I could only get another 100Mhz extra single core frequency.

Perhaps there are good ways to tweak this? Right now I've only set the core multipliers and a manually set core voltage. I think I would need to play around with adaptive voltage offsets to make this work better. Preferably limiting the voltage range and frequency range, if possible. I suspect having them jump up and down hurts both performance and stability.

Nate152
Adaptive mode will allow your cpu frequency and voltage to throttle at idle.

To limit voltage you can play with LLC and/or use a negative offset voltage.