cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Combining 2 8x2 kits then activating XMP

SherardG
Level 7
Hello guys,

Has anyone ever tried combining two kits of G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3200C16D-16GTZR (8GB x 2 DIMM modules per kit) and successfully activated XMP @ 3200MHz?

Asking, because apparently, this would not work. Problem is, they don't sell 8GBx4 kits in my region and I was forced to get 1 8GBx2 kit, and wait for the other to follow. Distributor assuring me that it is of the same batch, but G.Skill rep says otherwise.

Please let me know the risks I am running here.

Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

Raja
Level 13
Combined kits sometimes work (you may get lucky), but often don't. If they don't, manual tuning can be a pain and there's no guarantee you'll achieve the rated timings and frequency of a single kit. RGB memory kits tend to be more sensitive, so just be aware of the pitfalls.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Combined kits sometimes work (you may get lucky), but often don't. If they don't, manual tuning can be a pain and there's no guarantee you'll achieve the rated timings and frequency of a single kit. RGB memory kits tend to be more sensitive, so just be aware of the pitfalls.

Ahh.. Exactly what the G.Skill rep told me. Thanks Raja. I guess I have to discard this current kit, and the incoming one (it's already paid for; the things people will say to make a sale, all it takes is one dumb customer like me and it's instant money for them) then get a quad kit :'(

Carbonicdk
Level 8
The above is true. However, there's quite a few threads and people having a hard time getting their XMP values on G.Skill memory on here and other places like Reddit. My Quad kit in https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?96979-New-Z370-system-unstable-memory-and-AURA-issues can still not be clocked at it's rated 3600mzh.

Carbonicdk wrote:
The above is true. However, there's quite a few threads and people having a hard time getting their XMP values on G.Skill memory on here and other places like Reddit. My Quad kit in https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?96979-New-Z370-system-unstable-memory-and-AURA-issues can still not be clocked at it's rated 3600mzh.

Hi Carbonicdk, Raja,

Thanks for providing me with your feedback. My other kit arrived today, and I tested it just for the sake of testing it...

Initial bootup crashed... I adjusted my negative voltage offset from -0.015 to -0.010, reloaded XMP, memory voltage parameters kept as the same, and I was able to run a realbench stresstest for 2 hours (not sure if it has something to do with RAM though... I am running at rated capacity, 3200MHz / 1.244v, on auto XMP Profile.

Did I win the silicon lottery? Or is this a ticking time bomb?

Thanks for your responses.