cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adaptive mode not working

dreikant
Level 7
Hello,
I am trying to lower the vcore of my system (not overclocked) with the adaptive mode. Unfortunately Adaptive Mode is somehow not doing what it is supposed to do.
When I boot into Windows and do some browsing or gaming CPU-Z reports higher vcore than set in bios.

For Example:
Additional Turbo Mode Voltage is set to 1.121v and the Offset to -0.001v. This should result in 1.12v. But in Windows I get higher values. CPU-Z has reported these values: 1.136v and 1.156v and 1.186v.

I played around with Turbo mode and offset values and noticed that they have nearly no effect. No matter what I dial in, in the end I get the mentioned values above.
I am using the latest Bios 3703 with default settings and XMP for the memory. I also tried Bios 3504. Didn't help.

These are my specs:
Maximus VIII Impact (z170)
Intel i7 7700k
16GB DDR4 3000Mhz
GTX 1060 6GB
12 REPLIES 12

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hi, it's well documented on the forums that the "additional" turbo voltage box can not be set lower than the VID for a given ratio.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Thank you. That would explain my problems. So is the Offset Mode the right way to go?

dreikant wrote:
Thank you. That would explain my problems. So is the Offset Mode the right way to go?

The offset function by itself, yes

dreikant wrote:

The offset function by itself, yes. That or a fixed manual voltage if not concerned with power saving features.

The VID shown in Core temp shows up 1.28V after a restart. My target vcore is 1.12v. So offset is -0.16v. Guess I could into stability problems in idle!?
Can I use prime95 for stability testing? As Prime is not recommended for adaptive mode....

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Yes, it's possible that with the negative offset you'll encounter stability issues at idle. You'll have to see what works best. There's a trade off to all modes

Thank you for your Support Silent Scone. The adaptive mode confuses me a little.
For example if I do an overclock of 4.5 GHz for all cores. Wouldn't the VID for this ratio still be higher than what I set in the "additional" turbo voltage box? Then the adaptive mode makes no sense... Could you explain one more time when I use adaptive mode?

dreikant wrote:
Thank you for your Support Silent Scone. The adaptive mode confuses me a little.
For example if I do an overclock of 4.5 GHz for all cores. Wouldn't the VID for this ratio still be higher than what I set in the "additional" turbo voltage box? Then the adaptive mode makes no sense... Could you explain one more time when I use adaptive mode?

Like I said, trade off. The benefit of adaptive is that the additional turbo voltage field only affects turbo ratios. Below this, you're using the stock VID table, meaning better power saving. The trade off is that you're not able to set a lower value than the stock VID. If the CPU is good enough that it's stable below this VID, then an offset is required. As above, however too much of a negative offset can result in instability at idle.

Hope that helps.

So if I set 1.12v in additional turbo box and cpu-z shows 1.156v, this is due the fact that the cpu is not running in a turbo ratio and that for this ratio the VID is 1.156v? As in my understanding the cpu shouldn't exceed 1.12 in a turbo ratio.