cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I regret to buy this board and I will send it back. Maximus hero IX + i77700k

YoMaltes
Level 7
Hi Guys,

I am user of Maximus Hero VIII an amazing board that worked fine for over a year and I broken 2 sata ports so I deiced to go for the Maximus Hero IX this time. I need to say that when I was using the VIII I had a overclock of 4,7Ghz in my i7 7700k and the temps was from 30c to 70c full load and very stable no sppikes. Now with the exact same pc, cpu and cooler but with the IX mother board I cant find stability over 4.5Ghz and the temps are from 50c to 90c and even crash due to overheat which never happened before. Also the performance in games are significant lower and the noise much higher, I need to use the fans in 80% to remind temperature. The voltage now is 1235 because when was in auto was hitting higher voltage and crash due to temperature. Again I just changed the motherboard and the thermal paste is okay. I used 2 different paste just in case however is the same one I used not long ago and worked fine in VIII. I updated bios and chipset which improved a bit with temperatures but still also spikes very often and from 50c goes up to 90C in one second and then goes down. I really know that my CPU is okay, was working 4,7Ghz without problem very stable and very good temperatures, Aslo I know that my cooler rand thermal paste is okay and the only difference is this motherboard.

What do you think guys? Same issues with i7 7700k and Maximus Hero IX. I will go back to maximus VIII
3 REPLIES 3

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Can you confirm the CPU cooler? Also post up your current BIOS settings. Two different boards for two different platforms, so rules can differ. However, I wouldn't expect the temperature difference you are claiming, so sounds like there is more to it than meets the eye.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

To be honest, the Hero IX and 7700K is a pretty solid combination. There are numerous users here running that board and CPU with plenty of success. I agree with the poster above, it sounds like something isn't set up right. Have you re-applied the heatsink? What BIOS settings are you running for your overclock? Are you using Adaptive voltage? Speedstep still enabled? What System Agent voltage?

Have you checked out the 7700K overclocking GUIDE ?

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
yes i did have the same, when i change to the IX, and little more temps, from 6700k to 7700k. i manage to make another oc. but yes .... temps is notable. right now, I am using 5.0 with 1.332volts using a non delit cpu with a 240 asetek aio. yes. impressive. but i use my computer on a 23C ambien temps (A/C) when i make load like heavy intensive gaming , and with ambient temps of 38C 39C normal work like web etc... if i do these gaming temps can easy get 82C so I try to make my way on the expense of A/C. I will change my cooler on q3 with a loop. Since i was planning to change my board to a formula or extreme. i am ok with my 7700k. i can do another board for streaming when i can. btw I did not get silicon lotery since i am running volts as minimum i can. lower computer crash on cine-bench or there is a pause on it. i have being running my settings since i install the 7700k. but yes there is a little more temp increase. I cover these on a post a long time. Is normal. take you time to fine tune the oc. i did. and I an not a oc pro or anything even close. just i take time and take notes. is you use you ambien temp without ac is the best way. i tine mine on 37C ambien temps with 75% humility. the a/c or better ambien temps is my plus and winning

"with A/C temps"
Learn, Play Enjoy!