+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ethernet Controller not Recognized

New ROGer jlindstr +10

Ethernet Controller not Recognized

It's been several days of replacing motherboards (Maximus IV Extreme), etc. without any success.

I've tried unsuccessfully for the last 24 hours to get a clean installation of WSE. The installation process fails because it cannot establish a network connection.

This is a completely new DIY system with the following components:
    •ASUS Maximus V Extreme Motherboard, BIOS 1402 (or most current)
    •32GB RAM
    •750GB Primary HD (SATA)
    •3 x 3TB Secondary HDs (SATA)
    •1 DVD-RW
    •1200W Power Supply

I've downloaded the current drivers (chipset, BIOS, LAN) from ASUS and Intel.

Oddly enough, the light actually illuminated when the Ethernet cable is connected to the computer, but Device Manager doesn't recognize the on-board Ethernet Controller.

Also not clear of any solutions are available.

At this point, I just need to get the driver issue resolved so I'm able to finish the Windows Server 2012 Essentials installation.

Oh and yes, power cord and Ethernet cables are in good working order.

New ROGer jlindstr +10

All components are new, so this is a first time to validate working order.

imMortal Kombatant Myk SilentShadow +200 Myk SilentShadow +200 Myk SilentShadow +200 Myk SilentShadow's Avatar

Have you checked BIOS to make sure the NIC is enabled? - if yes, what Windows version drivers are you trying to install?
    MotherboardRampage IV Formula CPU3820 RAMCorsair XMS3 8GB 1600 VGAGigabyte GTX 285 SSD/OSCorsair Neutron 128GB HDD/DataSeagate 2TB CaseBitFenix Merc Alpha

ROG Overclocking Education Center ||| ROG RealBench Tweaks & Tips

Not to be taken seriously Raja@ASUS has disabled reputation Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jlindstr View Post
    It's been several days of replacing motherboards (Maximus IV Extreme), etc. without any success.

I've tried unsuccessfully for the last 24 hours to get a clean installation of WSE. The installation process fails because it cannot establish a network connection.

This is a completely new DIY system with the following components:
    •ASUS Maximus V Extreme Motherboard, BIOS 1402 (or most current)
    •32GB RAM
    •750GB Primary HD (SATA)
    •3 x 3TB Secondary HDs (SATA)
    •1 DVD-RW
    •1200W Power Supply

I've downloaded the current drivers (chipset, BIOS, LAN) from ASUS and Intel.

Oddly enough, the light actually illuminated when the Ethernet cable is connected to the computer, but Device Manager doesn't recognize the on-board Ethernet Controller.

Also not clear of any solutions are available.

At this point, I just need to get the driver issue resolved so I'm able to finish the Windows Server 2012 Essentials installation.

Oh and yes, power cord and Ethernet cables are in good working order.
    I think you may have an issue here with Server 2012 support of the NIC.

Do you have a copy of Win 7 you can use as a quick test? You'll need to use the Win 7 NIC driver as there are no embedded Intel NIC drivers in Win 7. At least you'll know if the NIC is working or not.

Intel have also rolled out a patch for the 82579VLAN centred primarily around Win 8. That hints at possible issues on the newer OSes...:
    http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Deta...?DwnldID=22026

-Raja
    ASUS Technical Marketing

If you are located outside North America and require technical assistance or support, please contact ASUS Support for your region.

For ASUS North America Service: http://www.service.asus.com/#!contact-us/cw8z

+ Reply to Thread