cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query regarding the Memory Defroster

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Hey guys, I just watched the video on the front page. Showing off the Memory Defroster in action. I am rather curious/wary of what I saw. Clearly the defroster melts the ice build up on the card, but, isn't that dangerous for the PCB? as we all know, ice when melted becomes water...water is bad for electrical components....so how would one go about shielding from possible damage when using the defroster?

Oh and hey, I like the look of that LN2 pot...any up for grabs? I may not get into LN2 benching, but it'd look pretty sweet in my slowly growing collection of ROG Hardware 😄 :cool:
8 REPLIES 8

MeanMachine
Level 13
WOW!!!! Looks awesome and I guess the system is turned off during defrosting other wise BOOM, SIZZLE SIZZLE.
A good marketing ploy to sell more cards
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Yeah a bit more info on it's use would be a good idea aka "how to use it" not just what it does.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
The card is on in that vid so it is working...

I presume the PCB is covered in something insulating before use...conformal spray...nail polish, liquid electrical tape....if ice builds on this it will not short out.

Than heat it up and blow a fan at it and it will melt and evaporate at the same time...I don't think it's dripping into the PCIe slot

http://www.overclockers.com/subzero-cooling-insulation-guide/

By the way the rog pot is just the ROG badge that comes with the Matrix stuck onto the tape around the insulated pot...not a ROG pot...not yet anyway...

Arne Saknussemm wrote:

By the way the rog pot is just the ROG badge that comes with the Matrix stuck onto the tape around the insulated pot...not a ROG pot...not yet anyway...

Thanks for crushing my dreams Arne :'( 😛 hahaha

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
LOL...sorry Myk :o....but hey look on the bright side it'll be much cheaper to make your own like that..;)

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
LOL...sorry Myk :o....but hey look on the bright side it'll be much cheaper to make your own like that..;)

Haha probably

X-ROG
Level 15
Myk SilentShadow wrote:
Hey guys, I just watched the video on the front page. Showing off the Memory Defroster in action. I am rather curious/wary of what I saw. Clearly the defroster melts the ice build up on the card, but, isn't that dangerous for the PCB? as we all know, ice when melted becomes water...water is bad for electrical components....so how would one go about shielding from possible damage when using the defroster?

Oh and hey, I like the look of that LN2 pot...any up for grabs? I may not get into LN2 benching, but it'd look pretty sweet in my slowly growing collection of ROG Hardware 😄 :cool:

You're meant to insulate everything before like normal. The video is just for show tbh. Anyone actually needing to use it doesn't need to watch the video for tips 😉

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
You're meant to insulate everything before like normal. The video is just for show tbh. Anyone actually needing to use it doesn't need to watch the video for tips 😉

True, but guys like me who don't wanna do LN2 overclocking still like to learn 🙂