cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My new G75V and it's speed

Addohm
Level 7
I love this thing. My only complaint is, I can instantly tell it's bottlenecked by it's 1TB 5400 RPM hard drive. I want to swap it out. I've looked through the documentation and the website, and have even googled around to see if others have done it. I can't find much.

I guess my question is, what hardware is the replacement for the HDD in this thing? A basic list of parts including PN and MN would be helpful so I can cross reference it to other parts. Sure would be nice to just stick my PC's SSD's in here 🙂

Thanks ahead!

Adam
15 REPLIES 15

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Uhhh you should have an SSD in your G75 already.....

Yes, I thought that to. I checked my model against what I find on the web, and see that it's "supposed" to have a GTX 670M and an SSD. I have a GTX 660M and a 1TB HDD. I don't know...

http://www.asus.com/Notebooks/Gaming_Powerhouse/G75VW/#specifications

You can see it comes several ways, including HDD's.

Does it accept basic 2.5" SSD's?

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
Uhhh you should have an SSD in your G75 already.....

Uhhh no, he has the BB version.

john_from_ohio
Level 11
It has 2 bays and mounting tray already included ( both sides ) ... yes any standard SSD should be fine. Lots of info here on the forum about installing an SSD ...

john_from_ohio wrote:
It has 2 bays and mounting tray already included ( both sides ) ... yes any standard SSD should be fine. Lots of info here on the forum about installing an SSD ...

Like here for example:
SSD as primary HDD as storage
G75VW-BBK5 (Stock configuration with added Crucial M4 256GB SATA SSD as OS boot drive)

Need to know how to restore your G75 to it's factory-like condition? Go to my step-by-step guide:
Step-by-Step: Using ASUS Recovery DVDs to Restore G75

Want to download the latest drivers and utilities for your G75/G55? Go to this thread:
Downloading New Drivers/Utilities for G75/G55

I got everything I needed to know from this post. I wish I had read the "Important posts" thread to begin with now, lol. :rolleyes:

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?14583-Upgrading-the-G75VW&country=&status=

I'm probably going to pull my two 120GB SSD's from my PC (which is currently out of comission) and stick them in the laptop under a RAID 0 config. Just have to figure out how to easily move the OS across the hardware without having to reinstall everything or download a massive DVD ISO file.

Cecil_2099 wrote:
Like here for example:
SSD as primary HDD as storage

I doubt I would want to do an SSD and an HDD. I feel like the ultimate speed is gotten from RAID 0 SSD. Drive space is a limiting factor and I am going to address that down the road.

I am having a hard time collecing any information on this. Does anyone know how vast the difference is, even more specific on our laptops, Raid 0 is versus SSD Primary HDD Secondary? I'm pretty sure I'd rather the Raid 0 but I don't want to dish out for additional drives 😄