Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75 dead-on-arrival // had to pay 15% "restocking" charge

AmazingFactory
Level 7
Hi

My G75VW-DS71 arrived with following problems:

- no display backlight
- no display output (internal or external)
- no sound
- case put together incorrectly
- screen bezel loose

ASUS support confirmed this is a known manufacturing fault.
These units *should* have been recalled ...
I have to pay 15% "restocking" charge
which means retailers are making a profit from these faults!

Purchasing this laptop was a terrible mistake that has cost me $300 + return shipping charges + payment charges + time wasted.

Please don't make the same mistake, look elsewhere.
21 REPLIES 21

john_from_ohio
Level 11
What retailer exactly did you purchase that unit from?

john_from_ohio wrote:
What retailer exactly did you purchase that unit from?

I'm curious too! Weird that you would have to pay a "restocking" fee when the unit is broke. I would hope they wouldn't "restock" that unit and send it out to another person!
Asus G75VW-NS72
Intel Core i7-3720QM 2.6GHz
16GB DDR3 1600MHz
750GB 7200RPM + 256G SSD
Nividia Geforce GTX 670M 3G GDDR5
Blu-ray Burner

"Right...very creepy. Forget I asked."
-Alistar DAO

chrsplmr
Level 18
Agreed. What retailer ? What country are you in ? Sorry for your issues..Welcome to ROG.
We know that the G75 is Gold ... dont give up so fast .c.

dstrakele
Level 14
It shows you how important it is to know your retailer's exchange/return policy BEFORE you purchase....
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Cecil_2099
Level 11
1) If you purchased with a credit card, dispute the charge with the credit card company, that's bogus to have to pay a restocking fee for a DOA unit.
2) Report that retailer to the Better Business Bureau.
G75VW-BBK5 (Stock configuration with added Crucial M4 256GB SATA SSD as OS boot drive)

Need to know how to restore your G75 to it's factory-like condition? Go to my step-by-step guide:
Step-by-Step: Using ASUS Recovery DVDs to Restore G75

Want to download the latest drivers and utilities for your G75/G55? Go to this thread:
Downloading New Drivers/Utilities for G75/G55

I'm not sure if this is normal or not, but I ordered a G75VW-TS72 from Tigerdirect on May 22nd, and after 2 inquiries on the status of the order, they are still waiting on "units to arrive from the manufacturer"...has anyone else had to wait this long?

The retailer (EXcaliberPC.com) has agreed to waive the restocking fee in this case.

Everybody who RMAs equipment should note the serial numbers in the forums ... to protect others.

I was told that a bad batch of G75s were manually "fixed" and these have entered distribution.
The many reports of G75s arriving with unclosed cases seems to confirm this.

AmazingFactory wrote:
The retailer (EXcaliberPC.com) has agreed to waive the restocking fee in this case.

Looks like prices at that "retailer" are above the current market prices ... did you shop around?

I would think about returning it and buying elsewhere personally.

A quick look makes me think they might be holding old inventory and continuing to try to sell it off above "going" rates ...