cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Member and New RIG!

Kiyo
Level 7
First of all I'd like to introduce myself, I am a hardworking student and plays some sports like Basketball and Paintball, I enjoy hanging out with my close friends, chilling and talking. I like helping out people, helping other people succeed while succeeding with them. When not doing these i tend to play FPS games.

Gaming helps me out harness my competitive and teamwork side. Started out when i was eight, CS ; Condition Zero it is. Played a lot of LAN Parties, I was hungry for more, till then i played competitively. Moved on to 1.6 and then Source, looking forward to build a new RIG for CS;GO.

Anyways, lets get to the Tech part! 😄

THE RIG ITSELF.

Motherboard : ASUS Maximus V GENE Z77
GPU : ASUS GTX 660 Ti Overclocked Edition
CPU : Intel i5-3570k
RAM : Corsair Vengeance Red 8GB
PSU : Corsair Professional Series HX 750 Watt 80+ GOLD Modular
HDD : Western Digital Caviar Black 1 TB SATA
SSD : SAMSUNG 830 Series 64 GB SATA
CASE : Cooler Master HAF XM

EXTRA PERIPHERALS FOR THE RIG.

CPU COOLER : Corsair H100 Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler
EXTRA FANS : Corsair Air Series AF120 Performance Edition x2 (Will add on to the Radiator of the H100)
EXTRA FANS : Corsair Air Series AF140 Quiet Edition x2 (Will add to the back of the Case and add to the front mesh)

PERIPHERALS.

MOUSE : Logitech G9x
KEYBOARD : Razer BlackWidow
M. MAT : SteelSeries QcK (BLACK)
MONITOR : ASUS VW246H 24-Inch Full-HD LCD Monitor

Yes you might be wondering, why is there a Monitor, Mouse, Keyboard and the Mat in there? It's because i'm starting from scratch, i will be setting up my rig with those new Peripherals.

Would try to 'OC the i5-3570k but would need some help, and where can i buy sleeved cables for my Modular PSU? 😉

Thank you for taking the time to help me out! RoG is far out an awesome community.
32 REPLIES 32

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Welcome to the Forums, that's gonna be a pretty good setup...but from what I hear, even under water you may struggle to get your Ivy to 5GHz...someone else with more knowledge can either confirm or correct me on it lol. And about your question on the mod cables, well, it depends on where you're at...can't provide extra info without knowing where you're located lol 😛

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the ROG boards, Riko! Very nice introduction. You've done a very good job on picking your components.

CPU: The i5 3570K is a very powerful CPU indeed. It should have no problem running any current games. You shouldn't need any overclocking for the meanwhile. But having the H100 is a nice future proof way to be able to overclock in the future. Very good thinking.

CPU COOLER: Corsair's new H100i is out already. It has many improvements over the H100 and fixed a lot of bugs. I'd recommend you getting that one since the difference in price isn't a lot. Plus I'm pretty sure most retailers are getting rid of the old H100's to make way for these newer ones.

CASE: From what I read, I understand you want to do a push & pull configuration with the H100/H100i. I have the HAF-XM's older brother (HAF-X) and I know that kind of configuration is easily done since it's such a huge case. Since the HAF-XM is a little smaller, I'd recommend you either search online and see if anyone has done a push & pull configuration on it. Or you can buy the H100/H100i, install it into the case, measure the clearance space and calculate the space for the other fans and then buy them afterwards.

SLEEVED CABLES: Corsair offers a sleeved cable kit for their HX & AX series power supplies. They come in red, white, blue and black so you should not have any problem finding a color to match your build. I can assume you'll use a ROG red & black theme? lol. You can find them here Individually Sleeved Modular Cable upgrade kit.

Sorry for the long post lol. Hope you didn't get bored reading it all.

Let us know if you need any more help. 😉

Nackers
Level 15
Welcome Kiyo to ROG.. looks like it's going to be a great RIG.. you can order sleeved cables for your PSU from the Corsair web site.. here's a link to the page..

http://www.corsair.com/us/power-supply-units/psu-accessories.html?p=2

Nackers
Level 15
@ Chino,, Awesome stuff there mate..

@ Kiyo.. Welcome to ROG,, Everything about the way you wrote your post is prefect, 10 out of 10.. Take note of what Chino has posted, you wont get much better advice than that.. Once again welcome aboard..

Zygomorphic
Level 17
Sweet system! Welcome aboard! 🙂
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

kkn
Level 14
just be shure the fans on the H100? is the same as you are getting, diffrent fans = diffrent speed/airflow.
or if you want to, get 4 new fans ( if your gona do push/pull ), if not use the ones that comes whit the H100?.
the only thing that i would recomend geting bigger is the SSD ( if its for OS ) -> SSD : SAMSUNG 830 Series 64 GB SATA <-
i would recomend a 128 gig one if you can afford it.
i have a 120 ssd for OS and its half full.

Hi

Distance inside the case between my M5F and top of case is about 3.5 cm. Distance on top is 4.5 cm. I don't think you have the room for a push-pull on the HAF XM. I Have a 2.9 cm rad on the inside of my HAF XM and 3 fans with high static pressure above pushing down.

If you want a push-pull configuration the HAF X is a better choice of case.

sam
x99-pro/3.1 | i7-5820k | 16gb gskils 3000 | Nvidia gtx 980 ti | 512gb SM950 Pro | Predator 360 AIO | ASUS PA248Q | Seasonic Platnium 1000w

Thank you for the very warm welcome everyone! I appreciate it! 😄

Chino wrote:
Welcome to the ROG boards, Riko! Very nice introduction. You've done a very good job on picking your components.

CPU: The i5 3570K is a very powerful CPU indeed. It should have no problem running any current games. You shouldn't need any overclocking for the meanwhile. But having the H100 is a nice future proof way to be able to overclock in the future. Very good thinking.

CPU COOLER: Corsair's new H100i is out already. It has many improvements over the H100 and fixed a lot of bugs. I'd recommend you getting that one since the difference in price isn't a lot. Plus I'm pretty sure most retailers are getting rid of the old H100's to make way for these newer ones.

CASE: From what I read, I understand you want to do a push & pull configuration with the H100/H100i. I have the HAF-XM's older brother (HAF-X) and I know that kind of configuration is easily done since it's such a huge case. Since the HAF-XM is a little smaller, I'd recommend you either search online and see if anyone has done a push & pull configuration on it. Or you can buy the H100/H100i, install it into the case, measure the clearance space and calculate the space for the other fans and then buy them afterwards.

SLEEVED CABLES: Corsair offers a sleeved cable kit for their HX & AX series power supplies. They come in red, white, blue and black so you should not have any problem finding a color to match your build. I can assume you'll use a ROG red & black theme? lol. You can find them here Individually Sleeved Modular Cable upgrade kit.

Sorry for the long post lol. Hope you didn't get bored reading it all.

Let us know if you need any more help. 😉

I'm about to get the H100i but, haven't found anything on Amazon. And i would love to purchase one on Newegg, but i noticed Amazon is cheaper.

About the case, the HAF XM. It has the removable dust filter up top, behind the Power / Led / Restart buttons. I'm planning to install the Extra Fans there, and the Radiator + Included fans below it.

Do you think i should wait till i need to OC' my 3570k? Or i'll OC' it as soon as i get my RIG?

samual wrote:
Hi

Distance inside the case between my M5F and top of case is about 3.5 cm. Distance on top is 4.5 cm. I don't think you have the room for a push-pull on the HAF XM. I Have a 2.9 cm rad on the inside of my HAF XM and 3 fans with high static pressure above pushing down.

If you want a push-pull configuration the HAF X is a better choice of case.

sam

I'm trying to put the Extra Fans i bought on the exterior of the case, near the top compartment (for placing personal belongings)

And put the H100, with the fans that came with it directly below it.

Kiyo wrote:

Do you think i should wait till i need to OC' my 3570k? Or i'll OC' it as soon as i get my RIG?

Only time will tell. You'll have to start using your RIG and do all the normal stuff you'd usually do and see if the i5 3570k is up to the task. Or you can just overclock it to 4.5Ghz to make your RIG look cooler lol. 4.5Ghz is a good start for an everyday OC and it'll give you tons of performance. 😛