cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corrupt Bios on Crosshair V Formula?

ObscureParadox
Level 7
Hi there, I've just got myself a Crosshair V Formula from a mate of mine and I can't get it to boot.

I know the board works since I saw him use it before he packed it up to send to me.

Now I'm not exactly a PC noob either so I've tried many of the normal tricks to try and get the board to boot.

The problem is that the board will not get past the Dram checking phase of the boot sequence which is kinda annoying.

To check that there wasn't any ram compatibility issues with my kit I checked the board using 3 other kits of ram that I have. No luck at all. I also swapped CPU's to make sure that it wasn't the CPU controller on the 8120 that had died, but I get the same rresults with my 955.

I then plugged in a speaker to hear any error codes, but nothing was coming out of the speaker. Odd :confused:

I also tried booting with no ram in the PC to see if that would give me a "Beep" code of some sort. But it didn't.

Memory OK doesn't work either when trying to boot.

I've done just about everything except change coolers and PSU's atm.

Gunna try and change the PSU now, but I know that it works so I don't see why that would be the problem.

Thanks for your time guys.
17 REPLIES 17

chrsplmr
Level 18
Welcome to ROG...
You cant get in bios ?
Have you tried one stick, closest to the cpu ??
are you sure the ram is seated all the way ... this can be tricky.. get a light and look close.(no offense)
do you know what bios version is on your V ?
If it is the original it is on a sticker on one of the pci-e lanes ???
what cpu ???
Please list .. type of ram 'tried'.
bios version (if known)
and cpu being used...(i see those phenom and fx)
[[and no damaged 'caps' ???]] hmmmm ... triple check the ram 'seats'.

Best of Luck in this ... wait'n your reply.c.

Hi there, yes I have double triple checked the ram and it is correctly seated.

I've tried a single stick of every type of ram in each of the slots.

I can't see any bad caps at all on the board or any bad components for that matter.

BIOS should be 1703 since it has ran on Piledriver in the past. If its still the original bios then it's 0404.

CPU's tried are : Phenom II X4 955 (125W C3) FX-8120 (125W)

Ram tried : Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CAS8, G.Skill Ripjaws 2000Mhz CAS 9, XTreem 2000Mhz CAS9 and 1600Mhz XMS3 CAS9.

Can't get into the bios at all no. Obviously I have tried to clear CMOS too which didn't do anything at all. Change in PSU didn't help either.

I have seen the board work with my very own eyes which is why I can't understand how it's dead after shipping when the package arrived in perfect condition.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

ObscureParadox wrote:
Hi there, yes I have double triple checked the ram and it is correctly seated.

I've tried a single stick of every type of ram in each of the slots.

I can't see any bad caps at all on the board or any bad components for that matter.

BIOS should be 1703 since it has ran on Piledriver in the past. If its still the original bios then it's 0404.

CPU's tried are : Phenom II X4 955 (125W C3) FX-8120 (125W)

Ram tried : Corsair Dominator GT 2000Mhz CAS8, G.Skill Ripjaws 2000Mhz CAS 9, XTreem 2000Mhz CAS9 and 1600Mhz XMS3 CAS9.

Can't get into the bios at all no. Obviously I have tried to clear CMOS too which didn't do anything at all. Change in PSU didn't help either.

I have seen the board work with my very own eyes which is why I can't understand how it's dead after shipping when the package arrived in perfect condition.

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated.

i have had a similar symptom list as you've described. when i first got my crosshair v and i put it together i could not get it to POST, and sometimes it would only to freeze at first POST msg. Turns out, my CPU wasn't seated correctly, this is where i would start. take everything off and reseat the cpu, put a nice drop of thermal compound back on and try again.
-hax0rmort

MOBO - ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula-Z
CPU - AMD FX-9370
RAM - AMD Radeon R9 Gamer Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 2400 MHz
SSD1 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB // Boot
SSD2 - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB // Game
GPU1 - ASUS Radeon R9 290X
GPU2 - ASUS Radeon R9 290X
COOLER - Corsair H100i AIO Liquid Cooler
PSU - Corsair RM Series 1000W Gold PSU
AUDIO - Creative Sound Blaster Z
CASE - NZXT H440 Red/Black
KEYBOARD - Corsair K95 RGB
MOUSE - SteelSeries Sensei
HEADSET - Logitech G430

hax0rmort wrote:
i have had a similar symptom list as you've described. when i first got my crosshair v and i put it together i could not get it to POST, and sometimes it would only to freeze at first POST msg. Turns out, my CPU wasn't seated correctly, this is where i would start. take everything off and reseat the cpu, put a nice drop of thermal compound back on and try again.

That's not it trust me, I've changed the cpu like 3 times 😛

But thanks for your input anyway mate 🙂

chrsplmr
Level 18
You have cleared the bios using the jumper method ??
It just stops on the ram led ??? and u r sure the speaker u r using
works ? (no offense .. troubleshootn is messy work .. hahhaa_)

Is this in a case ?? any chance of a short ? a screw .. anything ???
Its really the only thing left that makes sense friend ...
fire it up on a box or something .. out ... (if you havent.)

You could get a bios for about 15bucks at the asus estore .. but
Im not sure thats the issue..

chrsplmr wrote:
You have cleared the bios using the jumper method ??
It just stops on the ram led ??? and u r sure the speaker u r using
works ? (no offense .. troubleshootn is messy work .. hahhaa_)

Is this in a case ?? any chance of a short ? a screw .. anything ???
Its really the only thing left that makes sense friend ...
fire it up on a box or something .. out ... (if you havent.)

Only thing I'm not sure about is the speaker tbh 😛

Nope it's not in a case and I can't see any short or anything anywhere.

I'm off to football training now so I will have a look at it when I get back.

But yes, I have tried to clear using the jumper method. Really can't think of anything else I can check tbh. I might get another bios chip from somewhere tomorrow and try that out in the board. Failing that I really don't know what to do 😛

cl-scott
Level 12
While I'd like to get the opinion of some of our self-proclaimed benching experts just to be thorough, I'd say you've already gone above and beyond the average person looking for an RMA, so if the board is under warranty I can set that up (you've got until about 5:30PM Pacific before I go home for the rest of the week) if you're in the US.

Otherwise, if you want to try the BIOS chip route, you can get those from the eStore: http://us.estore.asus.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=3890

HiVizMan
Level 40
If none of those guys are able to respond Scott I will toss my hat into the ring, RMA the board.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

I'll try the bios chip route first since it could be a quicker fix 🙂 I'm in the UK though so I have no idea how long an RMA would take. Will need it by the 8th of december you see 🙂 So I'll try the quick fix first 🙂

Thank you all for your help so far 🙂