cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External Items shocking me?

DigitalZebra
Level 7
Well- just today my computer began shocking me. I've got an ROG G75BW Laptop... and I've been getting little shocks here and there.

1. When I ran my wrist overtop of my 3.5mm jack in the Headphone port, I was shocked.
2. When my face touches my Yeti Blue microphone- while it's plugged in- I get shocked.
3. At one point- when holding the power button- I felt my finger get very tingly.

I moved the laptop- to an empty outlet, with no Surge Protector / Power Strip. I didn't get a tingly finger... Bringing it back downstairs- on a concrete floor, and a fold out desk... when things are plugged into my pc, I get shocked.

Is this just a rare occurrence? I've never had this happen before- I've heard of other laptops doing the same, but none about the ROG Series yet.
4 REPLIES 4

cl-scott
Level 12
Sounds like you've got a bad outlet, or possibly circuit since it only seems to happen in specific locations. You should probably get someone in to look at that, as it could be a fire hazard.

chrsplmr
Level 18
You got shocked 1 and 3 with the same surge protector ?? and 2 had no protector or shock ??
yep .. Id start by throwing that surge protector away ..
see if you can duplicate it anywhere else beside that surge protector ..
and it wouldnt hurt to have an expert come in and test you outlets at all ..
as cl-scott said ... fires suck.(ok..im paraphrasing.).c.

chrsplmr wrote:
as cl-scott said ... fires suck.(ok..im paraphrasing.).c.

True, I shamelessly stole this from a Buffy the Vampire Slayer episode, but I've taken to saying that before the crack of noon my cognitive abilities aren't too far above "fire bad, tree pretty." 😄

pcorreiamd
Level 8
Well with the risk of sounding all nerdy and all here it goes. Outlets usually have a small metal area that you may think is useless, it isnt, it is the ground wire. In case of a surge in the electric outlet the ground will take the excess of energy so it doesnt go to the appliances. If all outlets in your house are having this problem it means there is a defect in the ground wire (maybe its not even going on the ground), or maybe with the electric plug on your computer. If this happens sometimes, it is an outlet problem for sure. Either way call an electrician just to be sure. One thing that can help in the meanwhile is to reduce your static electricity (everything has electricity, you get shocks because the 2 energies collide), its winter and all synthetic clothes keep a lot of electricity in our bodies so best thing you can do is to wear normal cotton clothes at home and every time you come inside the house and take off your winter clothes touch something made of metal it will discharge your electricity into the metal decreasing your probability of getting shocked (it kinda look like the InFamous lol). Well I almost forgot the obvious, it can be your computer the one with the problem.

PS-main reason for fires while putting gas on the car is this, you should always touch the metal of the car before opening the fuel line ;). For years they blamed cell phones, they discovered it by accident because it never happened to old people, because they cant move so much they grab the door of the car to lift thus touching the metal, young people dont. :cool:
When I look at the ECG and see the patient crashing I remember all my training with Windows and just restart his Heart.