cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MVF, Q-code 72 today?? (Solved - er not)

helidan
Level 10
Tried to start my system today after a period of approximately 10 days in S3 sleep. I normally wake the system using a random key on the keyboard but the system would not resume no matter how many keys I pressed. I tried the main power button which did get the system going but I was without video and Q-code was displaying 72.

I had to do a power cycle to clear this error which then allowed me to load Windows.

Any thoughts guys??
23 REPLIES 23

helidan
Level 10
Hi all, since my initial post this problem has now happened again at least twice. Only today not even pressing the main power button would get the system going, this was after spending overnight in sleep. I had to unplug from the wall and remove the CMOS battery for a minute or so before I could use the PC. To be fair I'm not sure if removing the battery actually helped, I only did it as a matter of course.

I have run Memtest as per the recommendations on this forum and all seems well.

Am I looking at a possible PSU issue or is this likely to be MOBO related??

Would appreciate any help especially from Asus in resolving this.

PS, otherwise the system runs absolutely flawlessly, no lockups or BSOD's, smooth gaming etc.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Would you please confirm that your system is running at defaults. And if not would you please do a clear CMOS and see if the issue remains.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

helidan
Level 10
I can certainly default all the settings and carry out some tests, that's no problem at all. I've not done a clear CMOS but since I've already removed and re-installed the battery wouldn't that have the same effect?

What's this I've heard mentioned a few times about Asus MOBO's not getting along too well with some Corsair PSU's?

HiVizMan
Level 40
Removing the battery will not have cleared the CMOS, you will only have removed the battery. Some of the cached entries may be corrupted or lost, but most certainly the CMOS has not been cleared. 🙂

Not sure what the skinny is with Corsair PSU and Asus mobo, I can personally confirm that I have built at least 50 systems in the last year with a Corsair PSU and the only problem I had was one PSU DOA. It happens.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Better post my system specs I guess!!

MVF (1707)
i5 3570k
MSI GTX 680 Lightning
G Skill F3-17000CL11-4GBXL, 8GB, XMP profile 2
Corsair AX 850
Asus Xonar Essence STX
2x OCZ Vertex 4 SSD's
1x Crucial M4 SSD
CM HAF X

helidan
Level 10
Ok, another update, it seems this problem is getting worse:(

I am having to carry out a combination of hitting the clear CMOS button/unplugging from the wall/removing the CMOS battery basically every time I want to start the system now. This is both cold starts and resuming from S3 sleep. This problem is really weird, once the system starts and has loaded Windows everything is perfectly normal with not even the slightest hint of a problem.

It is only starting the system which is being a right pain.

Am I looking at a possible RMA of the board or can we carry out a few more diagnostics?

ps, maybe this is related maybe it's not but when I do get my system to start I am getting one long and three short beeps. I believe there is another thread on the forum with a user experiencing the same thing and we are both using GTX 680's.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Do you have anything connected to any USB 3 ports?

helidan
Level 10
Yes I do, off the top of my head I believe I have my Logitech G510 and Corsair M60 plugged into the two USB 3.0 ports just below the Ethernet port.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Can you try putting those into USB 2 ports, putting your system to sleep for a while then wake it and see if your problems continue please?