cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

27" 2560x1440 G-Sync PG248Q ROG Monitor Discussion

Vega
Level 7
Since this is the first ROG Monitor launch, and there is no monitor section on these forums, I think this could be a great temporary place to discuss this monitor.

What we know:

27" TN Panel
2560x1440 Resolution
120+ Hz refresh rate
G-Sync

Now for some of my questions to Asus:

Question 1: 4K displays at 60 Hz have to run in MST mode to allow slower, dual, "current tech" TCon's to each take up two of the four Displayport 1.2 lanes each.

This means each half of the display is technically it's own display, AMD and NVIDIA drivers have to splice them together but it's running Surround/Eyefinity in the background.

Now, 2560x1440 at 120 Hz is almost the same bandwidth requirement as 4K at 60 Hz. So either, this display will also run in MST mode with dual TCon's (BAD), or NVIDIA has found a way with their new G-Sync board to combine all 4-lanes of DP 1.2 into a single TCon/input. So Asus, MST mode or not?

Question 2: Some rumors coming out that the reason Asus put 120 Hz+, was to get NVIDIA to allow 144 Hz. 2560x1440 at 144 Hz with a strobing backlight would be just epic, and pretty much be "THE" gaming monitor in existence. Just be prepared for Displayport cable/length issues, as 2560x1440 at 144 Hz is pretty much maxing out DP 1.2 bandwidth. For my 4K 60 Hz display at 35 feet, I had to go with a fiber optic DP cable as any cable longer than about 8 feet couldn't run the display. Too much demand.

Doing the math, 2560x1440 at 144 Hz won't be possible with DP 1.2 unless Asus messes with the bit-rate.

Standard signal above with 24-bit rate is 18.14 Gbit/s (CVT-RB + TDMS 8b10b). DP uses 8b10b encoding, so the maximum effective bit rate is 17.28 Gbit/s.

If all specs are adhered to, the max refresh for 2560x1440 via DP 1.2 is 137.5 Hz. What is Asus's thoughts on this?

Question 3: Will this monitor have the new and improved version of a strobing back-light (aka Improved Lightboost, I believe NVIDIA is using the term Ultra Low Motion Blur [ULMB]) if you turn other native G-Sync features off? Is the strobing back-light set at a certain frequency, or is it adjustable?
28 REPLIES 28

No_FuN
Level 7
Hello
It's compatible 3D vision ?

No FuN wrote:
Hello
It's compatible 3D vision ?

3D Vision is confirmed to be unsupported by this monitor in a previous PG278Q thread.

Kronvict wrote:
JJ from asus Confirmed on the asus PCDIY channel that 3D vision is not supported.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMMtsnEfWeY

Kronvict wrote:
3D Vision is confirmed to be unsupported by this monitor in a previous PG278Q thread.

No I was wrongly informed that the variable refresh rate would not support it. 3D Vision is entirely controlled by Nvidia and if they say it'll work it'll work. If you have the emitter, glasses and card it'll run.

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
No I was wrongly informed that the variable refresh rate would not support it. 3D Vision is entirely controlled by Nvidia and if they say it'll work it'll work. If you have the emitter, glasses and card it'll run.

Thanks for chiming in MarshallR. Do you by chance have any info on the more technical/connectivity questions in the original post?

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:

Hope you've updated the info on the Front Page there Mr MarshallR 😛

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:

Sweet sweet music to my ears! 😄 Thanks Marshall
Asus RIVBE • i7 4930K @ 4.7ghz • 8gb Corsair Dominator Platinum 2133 CL8
2xSLI EVGA GTX 770 SC • Creative X-Fi Titanium • 2x 840 SSD + 1TB Seagate Hybrid
EVGA Supernova 1300W• Asus VG278H & nVidia 3d Vision
Phanteks Enthoo Primo w/ custom watercooling:
XSPC Raystorm (cpu & gpu), XSPC Photon 170, Swiftech D5 vario
Alphacool Monsta 360mm +6x NB e-loop, XT45 360mm +6x Corsair SP120

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:

Well that's good news indeed.

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:

what about lightboost support ( 3d vision 2) which I imagine requires more than Hz refresh requirement?

xerojin84
Level 8
Question 4: I've asked this in another topic, but in case asus doesn't respond to it since the question wasn't direct towards them I want to ask.

How is asus expecting the ROG Swift to be used as a multi-monitor set up when the monitor has 1 display port?