cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I need some help, second opinions please

Retired
Not applicable
Iran into a bit of a problem, all of a sudden my pc would not boot, narrowed it down to either cpu , memory or motherboard. I called up asus told them my specs, ran through all the hoop, and their response was the memory isn't supported my my motherboard, and the the memory is now fried. my specs are in my sig. Basically I am wondering if you wonderful folks think its just the ram that's killed or if it would take the motherboard with it, or if it would fry just the mobo. I always assumed DDR3 memory is ddr3 memory, if it clicks in and boots its fine... apparently ram can work great for 6 months and just stop booting because its not compatible with the 870 chip-set...only the 890....
15 REPLIES 15

Cyrekk
Level 10
Your sig is not displayed...

Maybe you can just post the specs?
New member? Introduce yourself here, learn a little of what we are about here, and refer to some simple rules here.
Though typically not required or enforced, here is a list of guidelines on proper forum etiquette.
[Work in progress]
The Crosshair GENE will come! - Show your support HERE!
SYSTEM SPECS

Retired
Not applicable
my bad, i'll fix the sig rig thing when i get home from work, until then

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
Motherboard ASUS M4A87TD EVO
Memory 8gb G.SKILL Ripjaws Series Model F3-10666CL9S-4GBRL
HIS Radeon HD 6850 1GB
Hard Drive Seagate barracuda 500gb
Power Supply-OCZ Modxtream 600 watt
CPU cooling-Corsair H60
Windows 7 Ultimate

chrsplmr
Level 18
Welcome Cazanon, New ROG Forum Member.
Yes, Please repost Sig.
This dont sound right to me.
Did you try other ram?
Are any capacitors popped? (or the X's on them bubbled?)
870 chipset, what board? (Please, sig.)
6 mo.'s and...? Not likely..

xeromist
With all due respect to ASUS support, I don't buy the memory incompatibility reasoning. Don't get me wrong, it could very well be that the memory is still dead, it's just that it doesn't up & die overnight because of incompatibility. The QVL is just a list of modules that ASUS has had a chance to test and has verified working properly. The testing is not exhaustive nor ongoing. That means there is a potentially a bunch of memory that never even gets tested. And modules that fail testing have stability or performance issues, not a 6 month suicide pact.

You have more than one module so you have testing options. They both wouldn't die at once so try one module at a time and see if you can boot. If that doesn't work then it isn't the memory. From there you can try removing the motherboard from the case, CPU from socket, inspecting the socket/cpu and reassembling on a non-conductive surface.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
Doesn't Post, All that happens is the lights turn on, the optical drive spins up as well as the hard drive, but no post. The "mem-ok!" light never lights up either.

Retired
Not applicable
I've tested both ram sticks, in each slot, I didn't think that sounded right, which would leave the only thigns unable to be tested is the motherboard and the CPU seeing as I dont have another AM3 Socket.

does it not post or just wont load windows?

Retired
Not applicable
Cpu is in place, power cables are in..... that would be basically the worst thing.....

did you try to reseat the cpu, and clear cmos? sounding more like its the cpu, but without having another board to test the cpu, its hard to say. could be psu or the mb.