cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Xonar Phoebus Mini Review - User's Perspective

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Not entirely sure how to do this as i've never "professionally" done any kind of review before but here it goes, please bare with me on it lol.

Installing and driver setup: Was a total snap, quick and easy...couldn't have been any easier to get it going 😄
Environment Setup: Was a little trickier as I has to manually go through Windows Sound Properties to set my speakers manually to 5.1. *NOTE: You need to also go into effects sub tab and check the boxes for "Flex Bass" and "Xear Surround Max" to enable use of your subwoofer for 2.1 - 7.1 Speaker setups

How to configure your speakers to enable Subwoofer use with 2.1 - 7.1 Speaker Configurations:
1. Click on Control Panel
2. Click Hardware & Sound
3. Click Manage Audio Devices
4. Single Click Speakers then click "Properties" down the bottom right corner
5. Click "Effects" Tab
6. Check the boxes next to "Flex Bass" and "Xear Surround Max"
7. Click Apply and OK your way out, fire up your preferred Media Player to test the "Bass" from your music...or even movies.
8. ENJOY!!! 😄

Media Playback: INCREDIBLE!!!! this is about all I can say

Final Thoughts: I am using a 10 year old set of 5.1 Creative Speakers(can't remember what model number) and I would have to say, without a doubt that my music has never sounded this damn good....EVER. Everything is so clear, I don't think my speakers have had to work this hard either....but the sound is so clean and so crisp, it's incredible. This sound card totally, completely and utterly OWNS my 10 year old Creative Live! 5.1 Sound card that I had in my old rig. I may not have completely put the Phoebus through it's complete paces, considering I have yet to hook up the control box and connect a headset...but that will change soon when I purchase myself a RoG Vulcan Headset and when I do I will complete my 1st ever review.

Thank you to the RoG Team for coming up with this AMAZING sound card, i'm one very happy customer 😄

Myk
17 REPLIES 17

Sekin
Level 7
The quality of sound is incredible compared to the creative xfi fatality fps.
I tried the xfi hd audiophile in usb but it's not the best compared to this card.

I use a tube amp (little dot mkiv se) and my sennheiser hd650 headphone 🙂
it's an other universe of sound !!

but there is a lot of problem with games.

I am not fully satisfied for the moment.... still waiting to be a happy customer 😛

While waiting the fix to come out, I am now playing Diablo3 and crysis 2. I also got kicked out by the server after few sessions only because my K/D ratio is simply too high.

I have to say.....the sound is amazing, and you don't even need any fake sound effect as my old X-fi CMSS3D.

xeromist
Thanks for taking the time to write this up 🙂
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

thegovernment
Level 7
In your review, you should put that you had to set it up that way for digital. Analog doesn't need flexbass or Xear on to work properly.
good review though. the SQ is good but until they fix the punkbuster issues, they are not going to have to many happy campers like you I'm afraid lol

chrsplmr
Level 18
Thanks Myk.. I was wondering about these .. great to 'hear'...And there is a little room for improvement? ..Bonus.. Awesome.c.

xeromist wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to write this up 🙂

No worries 🙂

thegovernment wrote:
In your review, you should put that you had to set it up that way for digital. Analog doesn't need flexbass or Xear on to work properly.
good review though. the SQ is good but until they fix the punkbuster issues, they are not going to have to many happy campers like you I'm afraid lol

Uhhh actually, I didn't set it up as digital mate, I don't have a digital speaker setup lol...old skool analogue speakers 😛

chrsplmr wrote:
Thanks Myk.. I was wondering about these .. great to 'hear'...And there is a little room for improvement? ..Bonus.. Awesome.c.

Well, since i've only used one sound card before, I can't say Bro lol i'm a bit biased at the moment cos this baby blew my old one out the park lmao 😛 :cool:

thegovernment
Level 7
I don't have flex bass or Xear on and my sub works fine, in fact it kinda sounds crappy with either of those 2 options on. Not really sure why you had to turn it on to get your bass to work. Just though that maybe you set it up in digital and thats what was needed.
I'm running Edifier S500 5.1 surround.

thegovernment wrote:
I don't have flex bass or Xear on and my sub works fine, in fact it kinda sounds crappy with either of those 2 options on. Not really sure why you had to turn it on to get your bass to work. Just though that maybe you set it up in digital and thats what was needed.
I'm running Edifier S500 5.1 surround.

No clue mate, when I bought my speakers 10 years ago with my Live! 5.1 card, Digital Speakers were just being released here in Aus and I didnt' have the cash at the time for the Digi version or the Amp to go with the card, so I stuck with the Analogue ones lol...but, I did also have to set up "Bass Redirection" in the Creative software also, to get any kind of bass from the speakers I have. When I put my Phoebus in and got everything going, I didnt even use the 2 settings for bass, until I played some music and I knew it was missing...hence my little guide as attached in the review, just in case someone else wasn't getting any kind of bass from their own setup.

The reason you would require Flexbass most likely is due to the age of your sound system. Most modern analog speakers have built in crossovers cause lots of people run them in 2 channel. As well as the lack of understanding of crossover setup aswell. For example I own two sets of Logitech Z-5500's these have a built in 120hz crossover so frequency's are passed to the sub by the built in amplifier. This is through analog. Although I love Flexbass on the Phoebus it didn't have a very big effect on my Xonar D2X. But it certainly helps me aid that built in crossover now!

So it simply depends on the end users equipment

Oh and also. Great Review!